Today we went to Castolon Historic District and to the Santa Elena Canyon. We then took the back (dirt/gravel/rock/mud) road home. The day started off cold and damp but ended wonderfully.
La Harmonia Store:
Built in 1920 to house U.S. cavalry troops stationed here during the Mexican Revolution, This barracks building was never occupied by soldiers. Shortly after its construction, the Revolution ended and the troops were withdrawn, leaving the buildings available for purchase. In 1926 the application to open an official post office at Castolon was approved. The building houses the Vistor center in this area.
Then off to ‘Santa Elena Canyon’ on the west side of Big Bend National Park on the Rio Grande River.
Then we took a dirt road back to the campgrounds
More photos of the day: