We started the day by driving to the south jetty were the Umpqua River enters the ocean. Blue got his morning run.
Sand machines on the dunes near the south jetty
Then downtown Florence for a photo of the bridge.
Then we went to the Lighthouse.
The Umpqua River Lighthouse originally with the first lighthouse in the Oregon Territory, was built in 1957 near the mouth of the river. It was undermined and destroyed by flood in Feb. 1904, then rebuilt at its present location in 1891. The illumination was changed from oil to electricity in 1934.
One of the many harbors on the river
Then we went for a drive south to the overlook.
On the way home we went up highway 38 along the Umpqua River for about 15 miles.
There are lots of elk along this road.
This is the scene on Hwy 38 near the Brandy Bar
On August 8th, 1850 the schooner Samual Roberts grounded on this bar during her maiden voyage to Scottsburg as part of the Klamath exploring expedition. She was the first recorded American Vessel to navigate the Umpqua River. While waiting here through the night for the tide to float the schooner free, her crew indulged in an excess of brandy, giving the landmark its name.
Off for home as the sun set.