Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Rex Allen Museum Willcox, Az.

This afternoon we went for a tour of Willcox, Arizona.

"The first name for the present community of Willcox was Maley, after Jame H. Mahley (b. 1850), who in 1882 was a resident of Dos Cabezas. Maley was so called because the railroad right-of-way went through Maley's Ranch. The legend concerning the change in name is that when the first train came through, Gen. Orlando B. Willcox (1823-1907) the commander of the Department of Arizona, was on board and received an ovation. Since its beginning as a railroad point, Willcox has been important as a cattle shipping center."

P.O. est September 13, 1880. Name changed to Willcox Nov. 23, 1889.



Rex Allen’s recording career was launched with Mercury Records in 1946 and spanned 30 years. The song that became his trademark, “Streets of Laredo”, sold over 3 million copies.

In 1949 Rx signed with Republic Pictures in Hollywood, the motion picture studio responsible for the careers of John Wayne, Gene Autry and Roy Rogers. Rex Allen stared in 18 action packed westerns with “Koko” through 1954, Rex was the last of the “Silver Screen Cowboys”.

In the television years of 1955-56, Rex starred in 39 episodes of “Frontier Doctor”.

During the next three decades, Rex and Koko appeared at every major rodeo in the U.S. and Canada. His golden voice has been heard on hundreds of commercials over the years and he narrated more than 100 nature films for Wald Disney.







The Willcox Commercial is the oldest store in it's original location in Arizona.  The Commercial offers a glimpse into the past while allowing you to shop for items of the present.  The Commercial was established in 1880.  The actual building built in the early 1880's.  The Commercial was important to the Southern Pacific railroad in the early days with sending freight to Fort Grant, Fort Bowie and Globe.  The Commercial is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

No comments:

Post a Comment