Today we took a side trip to Fort Myers, Florida.
We stopped in the morning at the OUTLET mall in Fort Myers then went to the Edison and Ford Winter Estates.
The Edison and Ford Winter Estates contain a historical museum and 17 acre (6.9 hectares) botanical garden on the adjacent sites of the winter homes of Thomas Alva Edison and Henry Ford beside the Caloosahatchee River in southwestern Florida.
The present site dates from 1885, when Edison first visited Florida and purchased the property to build a vacation home. His home, completed in 1887 and dubbed "Seminole Lodge", served as a winter retreat and place of relaxation until Edison's death in 1931. Edison’s good friend Henry Ford purchased the adjoining property in 1916 where he purchased "The Mangoes" from Robert Smith of New York. Ford's craftsman style bungalow was but in 1911 by Smith. In 1947, Mrs. Mina Edison deeded the property to the City of Fort Myers in memory of her husband for the enjoyment of the public. It was opened for public tours in 1950. By 1988, the adjacent Henry Ford winter estate was purchased and opened for public tours in 1990.
When we entered the parking lot for the estate the first thing we encountered was this huge tree.
Thomas Edison estates. the first on is the guest house and kitchen, the second one is the Edison winter residence.
Teri looking into the living room.
The Edison peer.
The carriage house with attached gardeners quarters.
Thomas Edison’s winter office.
The front view of the Edison estate.
One of the hundreds of orchids on the estate.
Fort Myers nickname is ‘City of Palms’
Edison botany laboratory.